The right of churches to freely speak the truth is under threat in Houston. Five pastors and churches in the Texas city have had their internal church communications subpoenaed by Mayor Annise Parker. This action by the mayor was done in response to a lawsuit against the city for basically ignoring a petition by the people of Houston to vote on a “bathroom bill” that was forced upon Houston residents and businesses earlier this year. None of the pastors or affected churches are even a party to the lawsuit.
This action against the churches is simply to intimidate pastors around the area who have been speaking out in support of the voter referendum. The government has no business monitoring sermons or prying into the private communication between a pastor and his congregation. The Constitution secures the freedom of the church to freely proclaim the truth. We can’t sit idly by and allow intimidation like this to stand.
That’s why the Religious Freedom Coalition is proud to be a partner in a special nationwide simulcast from Houston on Sunday, November 2nd at 6:00 p.m. CT/7:00 p.m. ET. Live from Grace Community Church in Houston — one of the affected churches in — “I Stand Sunday” will focus on what’s happening in that city, as well as other threats to religious freedom around the country. Our aim will be to show how Christians nationwide can stand together in love and unity for America’s First Freedom of religious liberty.
Please bring this to the attention of the your church leadership, and encourage them to have your church join with us and churches across the country as we focus on this issue that is crucial to the freedom of the church. If your church is unable to join, there’s also a home viewing option, where you can watch with your small group.
- David & Jason Benham, Co-founders, Benham Companies
- Hernan Castano, Pastor, Iglesia Rios de Aceite – Houston
- Dr. Ronnie Floyd, President, Southern Baptist Convention
- Magda Hermida, Founder, Magda Hermida Ministries
- Gov. Mike Huckabee, Host of Fox News’ Huckabee, former Gov. Arkansas
- Tony Perkins, President, Family Research Council
- Pastor Steve Riggle, Founding Senior Pastor, Grace Community Church, Houston
- Alan Robertson, Star of Duck Dynasty
- Phil Robertson, The Duck Commander/Duck Dynasty
- Dr. Rick Scarborough, President, Vision America
- Todd Starnes, Fox News Radio
- Dr. Ed Young, Pastor, Second Baptist Church Houston
Time is short, but the issue is crucial. The affected pastors and churches in Houston need believers from across the nation standing with them in solidarity for the right to freely proclaim the truth of Scripture. Visit istandsunday.com to find out how you can be a part of this bold stand for truth.
William J. Murray
Chairman, Religious Freedom Coalition